About 2.5 quintillion bytes of data are produced each day by the human race. A professional with the knowledge to systematize this data and provide business solutions have high demands in the industry. These professionals are data scientists.
Harvard Business Review describes a Data Scientist as “a high-ranking professional with the training and curiosity to make discoveries in the world of Big Data”. Their job is to decipher ample amounts of data with further analysis to determine the trends and gain extended insight based on company requirements.
Eligibility Requirements for Data Scientists
A bachelor’s degree is the minimum academic required to start with the career. A background in the following disciplines increases the opportunities:
• Mathematics or Statistics focusing on the study of data structures, algebra and algorithm analysis.
• Computer Science degree involving database management.
• Economics and Social Sciences including finance, business studies, marketing, and management.
• Programming courses in languages like C++, Java, R, and Python.
Students from entirely different disciplines have chances of becoming a data scientist with online certification courses. Some of the most desirable certifications in data science are:
• Cloudera: Cloudera Certified Professional (CCP): Data Scientist
• Columbia University: Certification of Professional Achievement in Data Sciences
• TDWI: Certified Business Intelligence Professional
• INFORMS: Certified Analytics Professional
• Digital Analytics Association: Web Analyst Certification
Skill Requirements for Data Scientists
Data Scientists require robust technical knowledge along with analytical skills. Some in-demand skills to obtain career opportunities are:
Knowledge of programming languages.
Experience with Databases: SQL and NoSQL
Knowledge of AI framework and Neural Networks.
Experience with NLP algorithms.
Knowledge of deep learning frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch)
Mathematical and Analytical Skills,Data Scientist Jobs
According to LinkedIn, 49000+ Data Scientist jobs are available Worldwide. With so many job prospects, it is the most intense profession of the decade. Companies depend on their observations to lead a step ahead of their competitions while keeping the overall expenditure low. Jobs postings are regularly available from big companies like Microsoft, Apple, Oracle and many more.
Data Scientist Job Roles
Some of the prominent job roles of a Data Scientist are as follows:
1. Data Analyst – extract and analyze data and inspect insights to discover useful information that supports decision-making. They develop algorithmic models and scrutinizes the company’s strategical built. They have an average salary of ₹5,14,106/year.
2. BI Analyst – or Business Intelligence Analyst studies the market and the business trends to compare business performance and determine areas that require improvement. They have an average salary of ₹532,100/year.
3. Data Architect – build complex database systems from scratch and modify dataflow management (retrieving, processing and consuming data) for a wide range of companies. They have an average salary of ₹16,50,000/year
4. Data Engineer – they take the work of an architect and process the available data and ensure its clarity and make crucial data accessible to the company. They have an average salary of ₹8,62,760/year.
However, you need key cognitive skills to become a good data scientist. Data handling is a strenuous task which needs focus and perseverance and often data interns need to work long after their normal working hours. Here are a few skills that data companies screen using psychometric test during the hiring process.
In the era of massive data, this is an invaluable trait in a data analyst. But what is critical thinking? It is the ability to think in a rational manner, by identifying different facts, verifying, analyzing and finally connecting between them to draw viable judgement. You need to be patient and have an eye for detail while working with data. You have to build your initial framework based on your problem solving technique after which your follow it with data analytic tools to verify your approach.
Working with an open mind deprives you from working with a rigid approach which is crucial in data handling. You should be ready to re-interpret your data with an inquisitive mind, seeking answers behind varied data results. With emergence of destructive technology, you will agree that curiosity is the mother of invention and data analysis is like finding a needle in the haystack.
Good Communication Skills
This is important while presenting the results of your analysis. It cannot be a dumb presentation with loads of graphs but it needs to be announced with conviction in an efficient story-telling style in order to justify your data solution. After all your business acumen will be tested when you sell your data analytical skills.
Huge data is always worked in a team and your ability to coordinate with members is crucial for the success of the project. Your team may comprise of developers, marketing heads and content writers who streamline their strategy based on your assessment. Therefore your should work with a single mind and in a cooperative manner while dealing with people with different skill sets.
However, do not be alarmed with the skill sets required for a successful data consultant, you can actually hone them if you are a quick learner and passionate about working with information. You can actually test your cognitive abilities using online aptitude test for career selection.
Leave a Reply