Heartburn is a common problem happening to common man. It is not bound to any specific age or category, it can happen to anyone. There are no specific characters found in a person suffering from acid reflux. All you need to do is acid reflux food to avoid.
Getting to the root cause
The reason behind acid reflux or heartburn is the back flow of acid from the stomach towards the esophagus. This can happen due to many reasons, but the main issue that arises is the weakening of muscles (LES) that control the doors between esophagus and the stomach. This can happen due to various habits. You can get to know more on Reflux MD.
Reasons behind such a condition
There can be many reasons but a few of them are related to your behavior and habits. We can be careful and rectify them in time. It will save you from getting into a bigger problem. So here is a list of such reasons:
- Overeating, taking large meals at one sitting.
- Having spicy food or heavy and rich food on daily basis.
- Lack of physical activity.
- Irregular meal timings.
- Late dinners and immediately going to sleep.
- Overweight is a state that leads to many problems.
- Too much smoking.
- Pregnancy may lead to acid reflux too as the size of the stomach is reduced tremendously towards the later stage of pregnancy.
- Side effects of medications you may be regularly having.
Symptoms of acid reflux
The most common symptoms are listed below:
- Burning sensation in the throat.
- Bloating; when you feel that your stomach is full all the time, even when you haven’t had your food.
- Unending burping or hiccups; when the irritation in the throat leads to continuous hiccups.
- Difficulty to swallow food. The inside of the throat will feel swollen.
- Repeated coughing even when you do not have cold. You will feel that something is stuck in the throat and cough mostly while nothing is there.
- Pain in the area near the chest (sometimes mistaken for a heart attack).
- Having weight loss while you haven’t done any effort.
- Throwing up blood in vomiting.
- Uneasiness as soon as you finish having meals.
Ways to deal with it
There can be medical ways as well as non medicinal ways. You can always visit a doctor and start having medicines, but they may have side-effects. Have a lot of water whenever you feel uncomfortable and the burning sensation enhances. Eat small portions of meals at regular intervals. Avoid having spicy food. Rather try new recipes that are acid reflux friendly easily available on RefluxMD. Lose weight and get into the habit of regular exercising. You can also try elevated wedge mattress for better sleep.
When you become active and change your food habits it is going to help you. There will be lesser events of heartburns and lead to a healthy lifestyle. Regain your sleep and get refreshed mornings. Become a revived new you.